Sunday, December 9, 2007

What's the Deal With Birthdays?

So today was my birthday (and yes, I recognize the tense confusion, but at this point in the day the concept of my day of birth is no longer unenthusiastically recognized by any my loved ones). My family continues to ask me what presents I would like. In years past, I would have asked for some cool new shoes or a TV. Now, if there is something I want, I go out and get it myself.

I used to think of people who didn't want their birthday celebrated or acknowledged were subscribers to some form a hidden desire to have grand attention envelope them. I no longer feel that way. I believe I am one such subscriber. I woke up and it literally was just another day. After bouts of phone calls from friends and relatives I got to thinking: why is it that we celebrate one's day of birth? Is it because we celebrate having made it in this world another year? If so, that's kind of depressing. Otherwise, it just seems that we make an unnecessarily large deal about the act of being born. As if to say: "Hey, you were born once. I was too. Let's throw a party, eat cake and buy you stuff because you did what we all have done." Does anybody know the answer to my question?

No comments: