Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Faux Anonymity: Reverberations of Curb Your Enthusiasm

I have a theory. If the world was divided into two groups, they would be those who do things for the good of doing them, and there would be those who do things for the recognition they would receive. The latter would most certainly have a larger following. I believe that people who make monetary donations and beneficial work with the facade of being anonymous, do it so they can tell people how little they want attention.

As an example, I overheard a gentleman talking today. This was a man I immediately became disinterested in as he was an absurdly loud talker. People that talk loud are insecure. It's science. So this obnoxious man was talking to another man, whom he had just met, and only on the premise that they both enjoyed hiking, and was telling him how he loved to support outdoor groups. For 15 minutes I had to listen to him regurgitate heroic tales of his many, large donations he has made over the years. I only interjected with cynical bursts of "You are truly a saint" and "By George, heaven must be knocking on your door". He seemed increasingly more annoyed with each interjection, but he was an idiot so I don't care.

My point is this. How many other people must he have told? That completely defeats the purpose of anonymity. This brought back memories of a recent episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm when the show's protagonist, Larry David, confronts Ted Danson about the same concept. Larry cited it as being "faux anonymity". Larry David, how wise you are.

No comments: