Sunday, December 30, 2007

Sugar-free Pain

My mother is diabetic. Therefor, the only sweet treats she is able to consume are those sans sugar. The sugar-free spree has been a large national craze lately, not only for diabetics but for weight-loss fanatics alike. Strangely enough, many of said candies taste strangely "normal", if I'm allowed the term. However, because of the sugar substitutes in these candies, the effects of the treats cannot be completely predictable in all people. For example, one of my favorite all-time candies are dark chocolate-covered almond clusters. Simply delicious. My mom was given a box of See's sugar-free dark-chocolate covered almond clusters as a present. I put one in my mouth and was awakened with a childish joy, so profoundly intoxicating that my senses overwhelmed themselves in the light of such joy. So I had another.

Maybe I am experiencing the highly controversial phenomenon of Male-pattern PMS, but after those almond clusters, I searched the cupboards and found a small container filled with sugar-free gummy bears. I ate a handful and was thoroughly satisfied.

Two hours later I found myself glued to the toilet with diarrhea commitments. My bowels were terrorized by a joy unspeakable. Sugar substitutes do not agree with me. I know that now. Please believe me, people. If you enjoy candy, please exercise extreme restraint with those of the sugar-free varieties.

2 comments:

stacys1175 said...

My father-In-Law eats alot of the no sugar candies and some of them are really good but I'v had some that tasted like crap.LOL!!:) and I'll have to agree with you on the whole bathroom thing HA!!HA!! been there,LOL!

Anonymous said...

Actually - that is quite common. Sometimes they actually put a warning in them. I think it's the sorbital?