Friday, December 28, 2007

The Myspace Effect: Part 2

Top eight.

What is the adoration with the dreaded "top" list of friends? I understand it was originally designed to show the people with whom one is to come into the most contact with. Cool. But now the top 8, 12, 16, mother-fucking-20? I haven't done the necessary studies, but I would confidently assert that those who had a larger top list also had more "friends" on Myspace. I would further assert that the vast majority of said persons would in fact be female (sans penis). With the given data, I feel it safe to make certain assumptions.

First, I think that these Myspace girls should be considered Myspace sluts. Yes, I said it. Not in the sexual arena from which most slut-based connotations are derived, but in an alternate variance of the term slut. In modern vernacular, the term slut suggests one (be it man or woman) who does something compulsively and without moderate decency. I think this to be befitting to the 'Myspace slut' I am speaking of. These people spend hours upon hours a day, not only showing scandalous, often intoxicated pictures of themselves and comment religiously to only a small percentage of their said friends. Who in their right mind needs to have 250+ people? I would give any girl a dollar per name for telling me where they met friends 75+ and on. That's some bullshit. It's like a high school popularity contest. And back to the top 8.

What's the big fucking deal? If you don't talk to somebody in 7 or 8 months, and they replace you with somebody they talk to more frequently, then piss off! Nobody wants to hear your ranting and raving about how your feelings are hurt. In reality, you are the asshole. And I hate the excuse, "Sorry I haven't written in a while. I've been super busy". That's why instant messaging and subsequent Myspace were invented, to keep in touch with those who you lost touch with. Now, one surely can't call, and it has gone as far as being too busy to type in, "Hi. been busy lately, but just thinking about you." You don't have to hear despair in somebody else's voice, no need to be on the phone for hours, and still we have lost the ability to do that such thing. It is kind of sickening.

Myspace sluts. Not nearly as cool as they sound.

No comments: