Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Myspace Effect: Part 1

Myspace has gained unfathomable popularity. From its humble beginnings in 2003, it seems that no conversation is complete without the mention of this phenomenon. It truly says something about human nature. Once a place to connect with one's friends, has now become a breeding ground for vain adoration and superficial personification.

There is the common question of whether artistic and literary eras influenced the works that were being produced, or whether the works being done influenced the movements that defined the era. I find something similar with Myspace. Were girls desperate to be seen as sluts before Myspace, or has the accessibility, popularity and faux security of Myspace made girls want to be seen as morally deficient ho-bags, waiting for the next person to comment on their airbrushed pictures? I wonder... I wonder how many of these young girls' mothers and fathers see the scandalous pictures many of them post on their pages.

And it's not just young girls receiving the criticism. How many accounts have made headlines in recent media for school teachers posting pictures of themselves in a bikini on a beach, and being publicly humiliated for it? Dating websites in the past ten years have made much headway. However, with the exponential popularity of Myspace, those online dating services had to evolve to stay a part of the game. I posit that a majority of the people who post pictures of them with obvious expectations of praise and lustful admiration do so in an attempt to appeal to somebody equally as vain, and most likely as shallow.

Yeah, you can feel good about yourself. That's fine. But do you really need to dwell on yourself that much? If you are at the beach in a bikini and people are looking, that's fine. But I would hope you don't stand in front of a mirror all day at the beach and admire yourself. I would hope that you don't pass out flyers telling people how attractive you are. I would hope you don't have a booth with questionnaires addressing how fuckable you are. I don't know many people that would do that. So why would you post pictures, implying the same notions but over a global market? I guess it's a cheap form of exhibition. It has to be kind of a rush; putting yourself out there, at the grace or disposal of Joe Anybody, and hoping for the best.

I usually assume people who post such pictures usually have nice bodies, and usually are attractive. I notice this and I ask myself, If they are already pretty and have nice bodies, why would they need more recognition? Following the logic, I naturally assume these girls have ever-increasing egos. Understanding that life is all about balance, and being the great social equilibrium that I am, I take time out of my busy day to make rude comments about their superficiality or flawed outfit. I do this not for pleasure, but to let them know that they aren't that great. And if they were, they wouldn't have to sell themselves on a free website. Just in case they don't believe me, I typically provide 3-5 links of girls who are equally attractive, with equally nice bodies, and who have the same predictable hobbies and taste in music.

My point: Myspace isn't bad. I like it. I have a Myspace account. I like girls. I like girls and I like Myspace. But I can't stand superficial wannabe slutty girls. If they really wanted people to see what they wear in those pictures, they would wear that shit all day long, in the mall and grocery store. We all have to grow up, ladies; no matter how your are rebelling against your father or how many times you have been divorced. Get a life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a 21 year-old male and I've been single for 21 years. A friend, naturally sensing my frustration, suggested that I meet a girl through myspace who lives near me and has common interests. I did a search of single women near my area code and browsed through hundreds of profiles before finally throwing up my arms and saying "to hell with it!" Girl after girl... absolutely stunningly gorgeous, yes, but that was it. No girl's profile stood out to me and said "I would make a good female companion." Most of the girls exuberated an air of insecurity, promiscuity, narcissism, unfaithfulness, did I mention sluttiness?, unsophisticated, trashy. They were all the same, like part of a hive mind. A generation of women who's personalities are universal, unindividualistic. They couldn't spell, write, or form even the simplest sentence, but they had "those mad skillz."

I guess I'll be single for another 21 years.