Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Jeff Goldblum Ruined/Made My Dream

What a night. It was one of those ones spent tossing and turning, where every frog's croak and jingle of a wind chime seemed to bring me to a level of alertness previously foreign to me. At some point though I did find some tranquility in a haphazard slumber. I woke up this morning saying to myself, Jeff Goldblum. Not the best of ways to start one's day.

I distinctly remember immediately before my awakening I had a dream. This dream had nothing to do with tables of brotherhood or social equality. No. This dream was far more complex. Like a symphony of madness and chaos, my inner workings began to compose an awkward and frightening score. So here it is, the dream:

I am walking down the street with two friends, Aaron and another nameless faceless dream friend. It is not a familiar street, but like one of those generic streets they use in the movies in London, with the lamp posts and a mild fog and whatnot, and we are laughing merrily. Women smile as we pass (this is obviously a dream) and things seem well. Until we encounter a building with its door open and three other men sitting outside it. Our path calls for us to turn left down another road, but I recognize one of the men by the door.

I walk up and lo and behold, it is Jon Stewart. Daily Show Jon Stewart. In the flesh. One of the other men sitting down is in fact Conan O'Brien. I immediately go nuts and start talking to them. Aaron and my other friend stand at a distance, seemingly unamused at my encounter, which is weird because I know Aaron loves those guys. Anyhow, the weirder part is that I keep calling Jon Stewart, Jeff Goldblum. Yeah, the Jurassic Park man. But even weirder, is Jon Stewart doesn't even mind! He just orders us all another shot (where this bar is, I don't know, but the drinks show up out of nowhere) and he tells some drunken stories and jokes. I yell to my friends to come meet Jeff Goldblum and Conan O'Brien, and they say to me, "We already did".

How in the sam Hell did they already meet them? And why am I dreaming about this? I could understand Jon Stewart and Conan, as I watched an episode of the Daily Show earlier and it was addressing the tension between the two. But Jeff Goldblum, what? I thought he was dead. Might as well be. The only time anybody refers to him is in my crazy dream. Then I woke up. No restitution. Nothing. The questions are permanent and the answers are the wind, always present but never discernible (I just made that up. God, I am talented). I can't tell if Jeff Goldblum ruined or bettered my dream. Either way, it's creepy.

2 comments:

Kali said...

That was great! I gotta tell you, I went to a party in Park City, Utah years ago for a movie that had Jeff Goldblum and all I remember was him hitting on all the women and eyeballing all of them, too. I got a hello and a smile on the staircase. I think he was drunk.

Anonymous said...

I love Jeff's voice! Always have...