Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Gummy Bears

My days are consumed by substantial bouts of nothingness. I like to do, what some call "lost in one's thoughts," or, as I like to call it, "daydream" hourly. In the midst of my all-too-often trivial and meaningless monkey-style data processing and amateurish website development (an art in which I have no personal inclination to better myself), I randomly, and without notice, zonk out. You can find me staring at a static computer screen, blank wall or even innocent passerby with an empty gaze on my face, resemblant of a coma patient, I have been told. Today was a special day. I recounted a part of my youth; something that contributed to who I am (and more so, who I am not) today.

I spent the better part of the day thinking about Gummy Bears. I loved the Gummy Bears cartoon. Yeah, I said it. How tight would it be to hang out all day with hot gummy girls, slide down rainbows and live in a paradise? Very tight. Plus, what about that Gummiberry Juice? That stuff looked delicious. Simply delicious. I have always wondered, though, exactly what it would taste like. Would it be fruity? I imagine it to be very fruity and also very sweet. I imagine it to be like Kool-Aid, but like a thousand times better. Thoughts like these clouded my mind for hours. Then I came up with a theory.

I speculate that the Gummy Bears cartoon was aimed, on a base level, at children. But at a closer inspection, I believe a huge undertone was dedicated to stoners. Pot-smoking young'ns. Think about it. What's the best thing to do when you're stoned? Eat. At least that's what I've been told... And what's a better munchie than a soft, sweet, delectable little fruity morsel? Nothing! And watching the Gummy Bears cartoon would be like watching your favorite little sweet treats become more colorful and dance around singing kick-ass songs. "Gummy bears, bouncing here and there and everywhere..." Lyrics like that are meant to be appreciated by those with low attention span, ie. children or reefer-noggins. I feel like I did way too much research on this, but when I stumbled upon this Wikipedia entry, I wasn't so ashamed with myself.

What are some of your favorite childhood cartoons?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Flintstones and Animaniacs!!

Helen said...

Whoah, that's one scary wicki entry!
I am VERY old, so I liked Top Cat, Huckleberry Hound, and Snagglepuss!
Anyone else remember that bunch??
OH! Trixie and dixie and jinx!
Thanks for that little foray into the dim and distant :)

Tami Daun said...

I remember snagglepuss! wow, haven't thought about that in a long time. I was a Flintstone and Scooby Doo gal.

I cracked up at your "staring coma" syndrome. I do the exact same thing. Have even caught myself drooling..lol

The Josh said...

SIMPLE: I loved the Animaniacs, but did you ever listen to the song? "..we are sticking to the max, we have baloney in our sacks, we're Animaniacs"...what exactly did that mean?

BIMMY: Who doesn't love a little foray?

TAMERA: I'd be a liar if I said I've never done the same...
and thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

It's so funny to come across this post because I was telling my 5yo about the Gummi Bears the other day. :)

Of course, he just couldn't understand WHY the bears bounced on their asses, WHY they had to drink juice, WHY the "big" one was called Tummy, and on and on and on. Ugh.

I have been able to get the kid hooked on Thundercats, the old Transformers, Gargoyles, and the old Justic League. :)

Wait until I get him watching He-Man and She-Ra. LOL