Friday, June 27, 2008

A bad day is good enough for me

We all have bad days. It's science. Things go awry, your schedule is interrupted and inevitably destroyed, and the plan you had is, by 10:00 in the morning, nothing more than a pile of ideas that once had meaning. I recently had one such day.

It was the kind of day that I woke up, but didn't feel like leaving the bed. So I lay there. When after some minutes I convinced myself that the day was mine for the taking. So I got up - eyes still groggy from the 3 hours of sleep I got. I went into the kitchen and started some coffee. Went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth. What's that? New toothpaste? Oh, no, my bad. That wasn't toothpaste. That was Desitin. A man-size heap of diaper rash ointment all up in my grill.

After 3 minutes of dry-heaving and an uncomfortable washcloth scrub-down, I rinsed my mouth out with Listerine. And repeated. And rinsed, and repeated again.

By this time my taste buds had been wiped out in the oral genocide I had just survived, so I couldn't taste my eggs or oatmeal. Coffee, the only real reason I wake up every morning, had just finished brewing. So I grabbed a glass and sat down to my tasteless food. But I tasted the coffee.

Decaf. Shenanigans. In my haphazard sobriety I had grabbed the wrong beans. For reference, there is a taste difference. I hate decaf.

Eventually I made it to work. This is one of those jobs where nobody is able to think for themselves. Literally. It's like I am praised for having more than two firing neurons. So I walk in and attempt to be cheery - nobody needs to hear my sorrow stories. I stare blankly at my computer screen for about 15 minutes and in the middle of a forgettable daydream it hits me. If the worst of the day hadn't yet happened, I was genuinely curious to see what it had to bring. So I fantasized the next couple hours what unbearable things could happen. All sorts of complex situations and equations -- some involving people I had never met, and were actually probably not even real. I began taking bets with and against myself.

And then the worst came.

The worst thing about that day, was that everything else throughout the day went according to plan and schedule. It was the most fluid remainder of a day I have experienced in years. And that depressed the hell out of me. But boy was it a wild ride. Always in anticipation - expecting, hoping, waiting. Then nothing.

All I could do was laugh about it. It's funny; sometimes the worst days can be the most enjoyable. As long as the voices in my head tell me it's gonna be okay.

1 comment:

Agnes Mildew said...

Hmm. Diaper rash cream for toothpaste. Still, could be worse. My Mother used Colgate up her backside thinking it was haemorrhoid unguent. She got a real 'ring of confidence' that night...