Monday, November 10, 2008

My affinity for cheese and disdain for early holiday propagandizing

There's just no simple way around it. I love cheese. And it's not something I see changing any time soon. And it is a very curious thing when people don't like cheese. Yeah, I didn't think it could happen either. But they're out there, watching you, judging you with that queso contempt. Is it a jealousy thing? Like, "O, I wish I liked cheese."

And I remain perplexed.

I like all kinds of cheese. Cheddar, mozzarella, asiago, pecorino romano, cotija, bleu cheese (crumbles and dressing), cheddar, jack, pepperjack. I like cheese dip, cheese sauce. You know those chocolate fountains? I want one of those with melted cheese. Nachos 24/7!?!?! Are you kidding me? I would be the happiest man alive. And there would be no reason for a soul mate. All I would need would be a blow-up doll...made entirely out of goat cheese.

But to temper happy thoughts of all things cheese, I realized that the holidays are upon us. And every year you hear some people bless the season and some people openly hate it. There's no right answer and no right opinion, but I can tell you this time of year drives me nuckin futs. And I always blamed it on my family. However, recent research has shed light on an interesting approach. The week of Halloween I walked into a store and found an ever-growing Christmas section in the rear of the store. And as I walked by, it hit me.

It was the aroma of "winter" scented things. You know the smell that when you smell it you think, "Ah, Christmas." But there it was, October 22. And already that smell was around. I think the reason people hate the holidays is because we are for so long exposed to all that drives the season. Over two months of candles and Christmas trees and stockings and Santas and fucking elves and yule logs and bright, cheery signs EVERYWHERE and after the first month, you become numb to it. But then it seeps its evil and cheery spirit into the masses. News reporters report about it, people make a full-time job out of shopping for other people, phoney-baloneys plaster smiles on and sing carols so highly-pitched you'd think they never crossed the puberty threshold. And that pisses me off. Walking down the street, have some stranger pop out of nowhere, "Merry Christmas!"

I just feel like screaming, "Fuck you, cheery man. This isn't a jack-in-the-box, you can't just pop out of nowhere and start spooking people, you creepy bastard." My point: two months is too much time to be exposed to this crap. It's just too much. By the time Christmas or Kwanza or Hanukkah or Festivus come around, no sane person wants to smell another scented pine cone or see another stocking or be heckled by little elves at the mall. All I want is a Big Gulp-sized cup filled with peppermint schnaaps and hot chocolate.

In short: cheese makes me happy. Two months of faux-happiness doesn't. Just buy me some cheese.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on both accounts..dread the 2 months of X-mas, and I love cheese! Pfft. Why grow up when you are perfectly rational?

Donnie said...

I couldn't agree more. I love cheese and I'm all ready to wage war against major retailers! I can't even enjoy the rest of my Halloween candy without Santa Claus trying to get in on the act.

Sandee said...

I have something for you. Please email me at:

mycomedyplus@att.net

Have a great day. :)

Anonymous said...

I love cheese, BBQ sauce and Ranch. Also, I enjoy sex with Dolphins! Just sayin!

The Brain Twinkey said...

I agree 100%. I have a rule at my house: no Christmas music or decorations until after Thanksgiving! As for cheese...Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! I eat cheese every day!

BT

http://braintwinkey.blogspot.com

The Josh said...

PENTAD: My sentiments exactly. Growing up is for conformists.

DON: St. Nick is a swooper...he creeps in when least expected. A jolly bastard, he is.

SANDEE: My curiosity has gotten the best of me. I will mail you words electronically.

KRUNKMODE: Thanks for the dolphin love. I know they enjoy it :)

BRAIN: Just a thought...I may replace all Holiday decorations with cheese products. THAT would make me happy. Because if you don't like it, you can just eat it!

Unknown said...

Hater of cheeses and Christmas both! They all just want your money for holidays. Christmas sucks because it is all about the money. Hell I'm still working on Easter!

Anonymous said...

Funny!!! So then, the compromise is that those Hickory Farms' cheese baskets are everywhere this time of year.

The Josh said...

ETTAROSE: You're a true hater. Commendable, barring the cheese...how could you?

VETTECH: Good idea, but there is no compromise. We holiday haters don't negotiate with terrorists. Hickory farms needs to get it together. Cheese or Christmas. Putting them together just makes me queezy.

Anonymous said...

A good story

GK Chesterton: “The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.”

Voila: www.tastingtoeternity.com. This book is a poetic view of 30 of the best loved French cheeses with an additional two odes to cheese. Recipes, wine pairing, three short stories and an educational section complete the book.

From a hectic life in New York City to the peace and glories of the French countryside lead me to be the co-founder of www.fromages.com. Ten years later with the words of Pierre Androuet hammering on my brain:

“Cheese is the soul of the soil. It is the purest and most romantic link between humans and the earth.”

I took pen and paper; many reams later with the midnight oil burning Tasting to Eternity was born and self published.

I believe cheese and wine lovers should be told about this publication.

Enjoy.