Sunday, September 28, 2008

Walmart: The Wedding Warehouse Wonderworld

I feel robbed. My bank, WaMu was bought and resold last week, all without my knowing. There was all this talk about people's money being insured up to $100,000. I have two problems with this. First, I don't even have $1,000 in my account, let alone 100 times that. Second, If you have more than $100,000 sitting in a bank account somewhere, chances are you are wise enough to move your money into other accounts to avoid losing that excess.

But the economy's in a bad state. We all know it. We've seen, heard, felt, and heard and seen more about it every...single...day. But I didn't think it was this bad.

How bad?

Pretty peacocking bad. With people having less money to spend, low-price superhouses like Walmart are seeing some of their greatest growth in 10 years. Damned be the free competitive market this country used to be praised for. Will Walmart's balloon ever pop? I don't know. But I do know there is a stereotypical Walmart customer, and that the stereotype is there for a reason. This is no secret ---->

Needless to say, last week I heard disturbing news.

I was driving down the road listening to the soft rock radio station the other day when a female caller told Delilah how glad she was to be married at Walmart.

I almost crashed into a tree.

Apparently I'm the last to know of this phenomenon. Delilah seemed pretty savvy to the situation, so I did some research and came up with a Spoonful of Pathetic.

Last year seven couples tied the knot at their local Walmart Supercenters. WTF?

I'm not a woman, nor have I dreamt of my wedding since I was a bucktoothed child. But isn't there a certain novelty that might be associated with the institution of marriage? Just because a retail powerhouse is "like your second home," like one Walmart bride said, doesn't mean that should be the place to commit your life to another, does it? I mean, did they even close the store, or were there hundreds of partially nude maniacal children flailing about during the recitation of the vows? Was the sign, "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problem" posted conspicuously, so the average Joe with a shopping cart filled with car tires, a pound of ground beef and a box of condoms can stop by, wearing nothing but tie-dyed elasti-pants and a straw hat and cheer his friendly shoppers on?

I thought one day I would get married. Then I saw this. There's no hope. I think I'm gonna go cry.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok... Walmart? I saw news article of a couple getting married at Waffle House. I think Waffle House is far worst than Walmart. The lady also worked at Waffle House. Man... What the world is coming to.

Kirsten said...

What a loser Delilah is!! Anyone with any class gets married at Target!

The Josh said...

MIKE: I really don't know what's going on. When you are excited about gettin hitched on your lunch break - a pot of coffee in one hand and a short stack in the other - then you just need to be shot dead.

KIRSTEN: An insider's secret...Delilah is partial toward Kohl's. Apparently they have a great sale on wooden clogs, the same ones she takes home and beats her kids with when she listens to people nationally broadcast their weddings at Walmart.

Anonymous said...

Really enjoy your blog. I laughed my ass off. Thank God my ass doesn't look like that lady.

Married at Wally World...eewwwww!
I suddenly feel classy, woo hoo!

KiKi said...

This post is a RIOT!! You have a great blog....

The Josh said...

KIRSTEN 2: Yeah, it makes you feel better about you, doesn't it? Learning about this helped me realize my life really isn't that bad. And that's okay.

KIKI: No, YOU'RE the riot! Thanks for stopping by, hope to see you again.