Monday, August 25, 2008

Confessions: Music

First off I'd like to survey the topic of music. Sure, I rock out to Tool and Brand New, not to mention all things 80s. But there's much more to my many-layered musical-onion self. I often feel that music is more me than me, if that makes any sense. But some of it just doesn't seem appropriate to share with my friends, or even complete strangers. While I may well enjoy many such artists, I'd like to now focus on the greatest. Numero uno.

You ready?

Barry Manilow. The man is a musical genius. Sensational, even. In a world of Wu-Tang Clan and Backstreet Boys overnight-phenomena, listening to a little Manilow can really take the edge off. With hits like Mandy, Weekend in New England, and my personal favorite, Ready to Take a Chance Again, it amazes me that some people don't bow to this Manilo-ific legacy.

Number two on the list: Britney Spears. Yeah, I said it. Oops, I did it Again, I mean, it started off as a teenage boy fantasy. Let's be real. Schoolgirl outfit. Hot girl. Bam. Music video sensation. But a few of my cousins listened to those CDs nonstop. It wasn't long before I meandered the streets thinking, "Isn't she lucky, this Hollywood girl?"

Finally, my number three secret music icon is Elton John. I don't even feel embarrassed really. I feel liberated. A lyrical genius. Too many hits to name. The first time I went to third base with a girl, I remember The Way You Look Tonight playing in the background. Is it awkward that I associate nude, interpersonal touching with Sir Elton John? Sure, maybe a little. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I barely remember her name. But those lyrics will be with me forever.

What are some of your musical confessions?

Get your Humor-Blog on! Humor-Blogs.com

8 comments:

LBluca77 said...

You're a fanilow? I'm a fanilow. I love him!!

Anonymous said...

Here's my list:

Neil Diamond

I would say Queen as well but I think most people will find it ok I like them. The Bicycle song is one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

A lot of people don't know even now that I'm 40 that I still love the Backstreet Boys---the looks, the music and the dance moves. Awesome dude.I thouught my husband find them cheesy because my husband is a rocker musician but I was so surprised he also liked them---well, their music, not the boys...:-)

Thinkinfyou said...

I love all three you listed and I think most people do too. I bet if you turn any one of them on in front of your friends,they would be singing along too.

Anonymous said...

Spice Girls...I still listen to them

The Josh said...

MIKE: I, too, want to ride my bicycle

BINGKEE: I bet your husband wants it "that way"

THINKINGFU: Sad, but true. That might say less about my friends than I had originally hoped for...

NESSY: In my many jobs I have met many a gay man, and as a result I admittedly know the words to Wannabe. I'm going to cry myself to sleep now, thanks a lot.

TOPolk said...

Avril Lavigne.

Dunno why, dunno how, but I love a lot of her music. It's borderline scary.

Anonymous said...

Im with you there on Manilow and Elson...Brittney? It would take one drunk night of me to agree to that