Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Confessions: Movies

In the good spirit of continuing the Spoonful of Secrets series, this entry is dedicated to the movies I wouldn't tell my friends I enjoy watching. And don't worry, none of my true friends care enough to even read this blog. So I guess I'm safe.

So let's get this ball rollin, shall we?

Number 1. When Harry Met Sally. As far as I'm concerned, this is Billy Crystal's defining role.
"Had my dream again where I'm making love, and the Olympic judges are watching. I'd nailed the compulsories, so this is it, the finals. I got a 9.8 from the Canadians, a perfect 10 from the Americans, and my mother, disguised as an East German judge, gave me a 5.6. Must have been the dismount."

Thanks to this movie, I learned at a young age that men and women can't just be friends. Eventually, one of them wants to sleep with the other. Thank you, Billy Crystal. But let us not forget Meg Ryan. Famous fake orgasm scene. Thanks to this movie I also know how to tell one of those from the real thing, too. So thank you, Meg Ryan. By the way, she's still certifiably boneable.


Number 2. The Breakfast Club. Two words: Emilio Estevez. Long before coach Gordon (AKA "The Mighty Duck Man") Emilio was a bona fide badass. Check out this dialog between his character, Andy, and the rebel Bender:

Andy: If I lose my temper you're totaled, man.
Bender: Totally?
Andy: Totally.

And let the people say OOOOOOFFFFF! You don't screw with the Estevez. It's science.


Finishing off the list at number 3 is Dirty Dancing. Why, you ask? The Swayze. P Swiz. What a G. Beyond his superb (questionable) acting skills, he dropped a couple beats on the soundtrack. She's Like the Wind. And I bet you can't find a girl over 17 years old who isn't familiar with the newly-rehashed term, "Nobody puts Baby in a corner!" The movie had it all, really. Wealthy parents, one bimbo daughter selling herself to the wealthiest man she could find, the good-girl that's really not-so-good, abortion, dirty dancing, betrayal, sex and love. Talk about complexity. And here's the kicker...Jennifer Grey is a babe. And just to end this with a pun, I would definitely put Baby in a corner ;)

Get your Spoonful of Secrets at Humor-Blogs.com

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Breakfast Club isn't a bad movie to let others know you enjoy. The other two, yes. Especially Dirty Dancing.

My confession list?
Mean Girls
Saved
As Good as it Gets

Man... I feel really embarrassed at times to admit the first two!

MikeC

The Josh said...

Mean Girls was actually kind of funny, but still a little embarrassing. And nobody can go against you for As Good as it Gets. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your spoonful of secrets. You're a better person for it. Well, probably not. But thanks anyway.

LBluca77 said...

I love when Emilio tells the story of taping the butt cheeks together. Classic!

The Josh said...

LB: We be on the same page and shit. First Manilow, now the Estevez. I thought about moving to Long Beach once. Then I didn't. Not much of a story, but it works for me.

Anonymous said...

i love all of these, but my personal favorite is valley girl. i watched it just the other night.

The Josh said...

Good call, Leigh. I was watching it too, from outside your living room window...

Anonymous said...

DIRTY DANCING its my favorite movie of all time :) Glad you featured it!

~ Christopher ~

http://cmarlow480.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

nice try but i was in the BEDROOM!

The Shark Guys said...

With Mr Swayze featured prominently in our excellent list, The Top 10 Bouncers of all Time!
http://www.thesharkguys.com/2008/05/16/the-top-bouncers-of-all-time/

The Josh said...

CHRIS: Touche.

LEIGH: You outsmarted me yet again... but that's not saying much.

SHARK: The Swayz is a gangster. No doubt about it.