Sunday, July 6, 2008

Is growing up really necessary?

There comes a certain point in life in which you wake up (usually with whiskey still on your breath) and just say, "Man, I need to grow up."

But does it happen?

I had a long night last Saturday. I have been out of college for two years now. Though in the larger context of things I know that isn't that long, however right now it feels like an eternity since I have meandered the proverbial streets of all things careless.

I'm no longer able to say, "I'm broke, I'm a student." While I may be broke, the only thing I study is my monkey-worthy data processing job.

I can no longer claim that random hallucinogenic adventures are merely classified as "experimental." I can no longer, as a supposed productive man of society, go to a barbecue , have some beers, watch a UFC pay-per-view fight, have some more beers, go out for a night on the town with the boys, drink my bodyweight in Jack and Cokes, then, go to a bar I despise and dance with girls.

Let me rephrase that. I sneakily convinced a number of girls to dance with me, not because my words were smooth, but because it was loud and I was able to lean on a post. I pointed to the girl, then to the dance floor. Somehow, three girls were unintelligent enough to accept that offer. Until I started "dancing" with them. I'm very glad in my school days I had the mental presence to routinely develop bar aliases. The girls weren't dancing with me. They danced with Dr. Jacob Weinstein, professor of Ancient Jewish Literature. Otherwise the real me might be awaiting a [several] restraining orders.

Nights like that, much to my dismay, I cannot blame on being another "college night."

Two years after you graduate, doing these things are not simple young, stupid stunts. Some may refer to a person who indulges in such activities as an alcoholic, a waste of life. But yet once every couple months I decide I need to wreck myself and do such things.

At 24 years of age, I am wondering if I will ever grow up.

5 comments:

Helen said...

Why would you want to??

Do you know, i keep hearing stories of IMMENSE stupidity, and isay to myself, that i'll come and tell you about them so we can laugh laugh laugh at the stupid people, but you know what?
there are just too many stupid stories to

b) write in one blog
c) remember
Which brings me onto another point about growing up - when you eventually realize that you might at last have made it into the ranks of grown up ness, you're too old to remember why being grown up was such a good idea all those years ago :)
have fun matey!

Anonymous said...

I think you don't need to "grow up" it will all come in time.

damon said...

You're 24?
Then, no. Don't grow up yet. You still have plenty of time to do the things people scoff at.
Then, you'll be a scoffer.
...and nobody wants that.

TOPolk said...

Eh. It happens over time. Don't force it. You'll know when your body has had enough.

Anonymous said...

grow up a-hole. : /