Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Big Apple

So I returned last night from a week in New York. As soon as I organize my pictures, I plan on posting Josh's All You Need To Know About New York Guide. It was my first time in the big city and I had a blast. I was supposed to come home Sunday with AJ, but we missed our flight. Apparently trying to check luggage 20 minutes before departure at JFK is seen as "ignorant", as the lovely ticket lady informed me. But what a sweet deal it turned out to be.

The week we were there, The Colbert Report and Late Night with Conan were gone on vacation. So, Monday, we decided to try for standby tickets for the Colbert Report, the greatest show in the world. We arrived at 2:30 and stood in line until 5:00, all on the chance of hope. At 5:30, we were granted admittance to the security waiting room. By 6:30 we finally got to enter the set to take our seats. And by golly, I've never been so excited in my life. It was very small and very cold inside. I loved it.

So the warm-up comedian came out, told a few jokes, then the man himself came out. Steven Colbert looked at me. Yup. Granted, he looked at many of the 107 other people too, but I don't count that. Anyhow, the show went on, and it was fantastic. He shot out a few of his signature WRISTSTRONG bracelets, and I fought to have one. I was victorious in that endeavor.

After the show, Steven walked across the front row giving high 5s to the lucky bastards down on the floor. So I thought. As he approached our corner, he looked up and walked up the stairs.

I peed myself.

Twice.

Our eyes met, and I reached out my hand. HE shook it. Steven Colbert shook my hand. I was in such a state of ecstasy, I blacked out. I tried to think of something witty to say, but all I could do was grab my Wriststrong Bracelet and scream, "Wriststrong! Wriststrong!" He did the same.

After our moment of temporary fame, I vowed to never wash my hand again.

No comments: